Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Baby Wipe Stripe Cards

For Tuesday's Technique Challenge on Stampin' Addicts, I chose the baby wipe stripe technique. It was a lot of fun to do, but a bit messy.

You need reinkers, baby wipes and glossy cardstock for this technique. I also recommend paper towels, copy paper on which to work and plastic gloves.

First put a small bit of dotto or adhesive on the back of your glossy cardstock to attach it to your copy paper so that you can go off each of the edges of the glossy paper for a smooth edge. (I still was glad I left the paper 5-1/2 X 4-1/4 and cut it down to 5-1/4 X4 afterward though for a neater look/no stop-start area showing.)
I folded the baby wipe several times then applied the reinkers so that they were touching each other. (It was necessary to reink the baby wipe as I repeated the technique, so I recommend writing the order you used on the copy paper you put under your work area for reference .

I used Pretty in Pink, Rose Red, Certainly Celery and Old Olive. I tried adding Chocolate Chip, but when I put the Rose Red next to the Old Olive a Chocolate Chip naturally occurred, so I didn't need it and didn't use that one on either card pictured.

I then swiped the baby wipe across the glossy cardstock to create the lines.

To get more even coverage and the muted look, I repeated wiping the wipe across the glossy cardstock.


In this picture you can see my attempts and to the left my inspiration, a vibrant and lovely swap by Nancy Brundidge.

 

After I'd completed the technique, I tried it on a card both horizontally:


and vertically:

My circle flower has the lovely Sweet Pea Stitched Felt as its leaves and center. I used the 1-3/4, 1-3/8, 1-1/4 and 1 inch circle punches to make the flower and just curled the edges in to create the petal look.

4 comments:

Robyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

oooh... Rhonda.. those are SOO cute.. love this!! Thanks for sharing!

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Gorgeous Rhonda! Love the bright colors they coordinate so beautifully with the felt. Thanks for the detailed tutorial too!

Twila said...

It's a WOW!