Friday, January 13, 2012

Food Friday-Double the recipe and freeze one

One thing that saves a lot of time for me is to double the recipe when I make certain casseroles and put it in the freezer.  Because our family is a small family of four, I then divide the recipe into three portions.  When I serve lasagna for example, my family enjoys eating it once, but after the second time it is no longer welcome.  Creating three separate pans (8X8 aluminum pans covered with aluminum foil) of lasagna reduces the amount of leftovers significantly and insures that the last bite of lasagna is as fresh and yummy as the first (rather than refrozen after cooking or held a day in the fridge).

I use this technique with lasagna, tater tot casserole, mexican chicken casserole and mexican beef casserole.  I also divide one recipe of sweet potato casserole into two pans because unless you are expecting a lot of people, you just can't eat it all in two days.  It is wonderful to have something in the freezer in case you unexpectedly need to take food to a family in case of sickness or bereavement.

Next week: Reducing waste from chili, taco meat, spaghetti and cranberry sauce.

1 comment:

avenue 5 consulting said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.